Located in Jamshoro, on 15 minutes drive from the historical city of Hyderabad, Mehran University of Engineering and Technology has an unrivaled location, surrounded by three prominent public sector universities, connected with the major cities of the country through Karachi-Hyderabad Motorway, and Indus Highway, it’s located on the right side of the Indus River.
Mehran University of Engineering and Technology started its journey back in 1963 as Sindh University Engineering College with only two departments. Since then, the university has grown and continues to grow.
Today, with more than 6,000 students, Mehran University of Engineering and Technology has become one of the leading engineering universities in Pakistan. Housing more than 20 departments, institutes, directorates, and centers, the university is providing an excellent educational environment with cutting-edge academic and research facilities to the students and enabling them to become the professionals satisfying the contemporary Industrial and societal issues with novel solutions. Mehran University offers admissions in 24 academic programs at the undergraduate level. Under the supervision of well-qualified faculty, postgraduate students and researchers work to find innovative solutions to contemporary industry challenges at state-of-the-art and fully-equipped laboratories of the university. Key areas of research focus are computing, condition monitoring, water, environment, energy, and sustainable development.
Mehran University has taken the lead as a higher education engineering university in Pakistan, committed to producing high-quality engineering graduates with extraordinary skills to fulfill the rising demand of the industry. The University is focusing on establishing stronger linkages with the industry to better understand their present and future engineering requirements. As per HEC rankings, MUET ranks as the second-best public sector engineering university of Pakistan, and top-ranked engineering university of Sindh Province.
Mehran University offers a rare combination of elite academic performance and an enviable lifestyle through its facilities.
- Student Teacher Centre has been constructed over an area of 20,000 sqft to provide befitting indoor sports and communal facilities to students and staff.
- A state-of-the-art Library and Online Information Center in the heart of Mehran University contains more than 180,000 books related to different fields of life.
- MUET hostels have a rich legacy of academic excellence and responsible community life. It is an affordable, homely and safe accommodation for almost 2100 male and female students. Almost all ten, including three female students’, hostels are spacious and airy two-storied buildings, with well-furnished rooms to accommodate two to three students with internet and other facilities.
- University’s Main Auditorium with a capacity for more than 500 people is the most stunning meeting room with high-tech modern audio-visual equipment.
- There are several cafeterias and canteens across the campus which provide fresh quality edibles ensuring hygienic protocols at affordable prices. Taste buds come alive with our vast dining selections. Fast food, lunch, snack bars, baked goods, tea, and coffee can be found at the campus.
- University has a neoteric Sports Complex, with modern Gymnasium and fitness center facilities, equipped with the latest fitness machines to provide students, and staff with the best possible sporting and healthy activities environment.
- The university has a fleet of buses to facilitate the students, faculty, and staff running on various routes between the campus and nearby cities.
- Mehran University has the honor of being the first engineering university in Pakistan to launch campus FM Radio. MUET FM 92.6 – the voice of my university is licensed by PEMRA, under the category of non-commercial FM radio stations. It aims to provide hands-on training through short-term internships and media courses. MUET FM 92.6 broadcast “education-on-air”; for the students – by the students.
The university also organizes extracurricular activities for the development and well-being of students. The signature events of MUET include MUET Model United Nations, The Big Event, TEDxMUET, Sports Gala, and MUET Gala.
Students Financial Aid Office has been established at university to support the students who are unable to pursue their education due to financial barriers. This office aims to provide students access to quality education through merit and need-based scholarships and interest-free educational loans, so no one should be deprived of education due to the financial crisis.
Mehran University of Engineering and Technology has produced more than 30,000 engineers and professionals, who are serving around the globe. Their affiliation with Mehran University makes them stand out among others.
Brief History of MUET
Mehran University of Engineering and Technology (MUET) is a public sector university catering to the future engineering professionals’ demands of the Sindh Province in particular and the country in the broader sense. It was initially established as Sindh University Engineering College of the University of Sindh in 1963. Accordingly, the college was first declared as an additional campus of the University of Sindh headed by a Pro-Vice-Chancellor in July 1976 and later upgraded to the level of a full-fledged independent University on March 1, 1977, through an ordinance issued by the Governor of Sindh. The ordinance was later converted into an Act of the Provincial Assembly of Sindh Province. The new University was named “Mehran University of Engineering and Technology”.
In 2009, a constituent college named Mehran University College of Engineering and Technology was established at Khairpur Mirs’ to cater to the increasing demand for qualified engineers. Later on, in 2013, it was upgraded as MUET, SZAB Campus, Khairpur Mirs’.
In 2013 HEC ranked, Mehran University of Engineering and Technology as the 4thbest engineering degree awarding institution in Pakistan, the number one Engineering University of Sindh Province that attracts several students from all around Pakistan and from foreign countries, mostly from South Asia, the Middle East, and North Africa.
The University has a mission to produce high-quality engineering graduates with extraordinary skills to fulfill the rising demand of the industry. The University is focusing on establishing stronger linkages with the industry to better understand their present and future engineering requirements. As of 2016, it is ranked among the top ten institutions of higher engineering learning in Pakistan by HEC. The University offers various engineering degree programs to undergraduate, postgraduate, and doctoral students.
Mehran UET has the honor of being the first Public Sector Engineering University in the country to have successfully obtained the ISO 9000 Certification when accreditation and quality standards certification was seen as unimportant to many higher education institutes. Mehran University of Engineering and Technology is a member of the Association of Commonwealth Universities of the United Kingdom.
MUET has switched its paradigm from researching its commercialization. Several research projects are filed for patents, many student startups are started through ORIC-IEC departments. Furthermore, the University has started to organize conferences and workshops globally
- Quality Brand: University aims to be recognized for its leadership position in higher education through designing interactive courses and carrying out multidisciplinary research programs and projects that are distinctive and relevant to social needs, and are of national and international quality standards.
- Compliance with Statutory Requirements: University ensures that every individual working for and/or studying in the university shall comply with the University Act, Statutes, Regulations, and Rules.
- Stakeholders Focus: University considers every stakeholder very important and therefore endeavors to provide an encouraging, flexible, empowered, cohesive and congenial working environment to assimilate, synthesize and analyze knowledge for the ultimate benefit of academia, industry, government, and society.
- Student Focus: University considers students as its direct customers and is committed to producing highly qualified manpower related to multidisciplinary engineering and technology, policy and management, and business fields. University ensures meeting students’ professional needs and expectations and appreciates their participatory role in maintaining a progressive learning environment.
- Knowledge Creation and Dissemination: University is focused on conducting multidisciplinary research to create knowledge to resolve political, technological, social, and environmental issues and to disseminate this knowledge through training, workshops, conferences, and research journals to various national and international institutions.
- Business Startup: University is focused on facilitating startups and creating businesses based on multidisciplinary fields.
- Linkages and Networking: University establishes strong ties with various national and international universities, industries, and
- Optimization of Resources: University is focused that the human capital, infrastructure, and financial resources must be utilized optimally for accruing and sustaining benefits
- Environment Friendly: University is committed to making our university environment the safest, greenest, and cleanest in the region.
- Continual Improvement: University is committed to providing a rewarding and challenging environment for faculty, staff, and students to kindle and sustain a passion for excellence.
Major Achievements of MUET
- Ranked amongst top 400 engineering universities of the world in 2010
- Ranked 2nd best public sector engineering university of country and 1st in Sindh province
- 14 Patents registered
- Lifelong Learning Resource Centre Established
- FM Radio Frequency 96.2 Allotted
- Five start-up Companies Registered
- Launching of Mechatronics Engineering Program
- 150+ Ph.D. faculty members
- Internationally published books by faculty
- First-ever UNESCO/ICTP Regional Workshop on “FGPA Design for scientific instrumentation” held at MUET (indico.ictp.it/event/a14228/)
- Innovation & Entrepreneurship Centre (IEC) Established (iec.muet.edu.pk)
- US-Pak center for advanced studies in Water (USPCAS-W) Established (water.muet.edu.pk)
- Baby Day Care Centre Established
- Establishment of Society of Women Engineers (SWE)
- Establishment of Student international societies and Chapters
- International Science-Policy Conference on Climate Change in Pakistan, held at Islamabad (sp3c.com.pk)
- 18 international conferences in last 4 years
- Organized conferences in Spain, Malaysia, Nepal, and Ireland
- Collaborative linkages with International/National Universities and Industries
- Leading partner university in Erasmus Mundus, European Mobility Program
- First time in MUET history, more than 80 companies participated in Job Fair
- Students Financial Aid Office providing scholarships to more than 40% of students
- Social events (Alumni reunion, Model United Nations, Big Event, MUET Gala)
- Serving communities through Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) program
- DICE Energy & Water (DEW’1 First ever in the history of MUET (dew.muet.edu.pk)
- Gender policy introduced (www.muet.edu.pk/sites/default/files/MUET-Gender-Policy-Statement.pdf)
- Organized first-ever TEDx conference in the region, TEDxMUET